Christmas Foods Harmful to Dogs

Dog eating Christmas dinner food for dogs to avoid
The Holidays are upon us again! Soon it will be Christmas and with all the excitement that brings, it is necessary to know what not to give your dogs this season.
There is no doubt that dogs are a great part of the family, but they should not be allowed to eat just anything. Even in small amounts, some common foods can be poisonous to your four-legged friend.
Here is a list of some Christmas foods harmful to dogs including some ingredients:
Chocolates
The chemical compound found in chocolate is called theobromine; this compound mimics caffeine and is really harmful to your dogs even in low amounts. Feeding your dog chocolates can cause problems with the heart, seizures and involuntary movement
of one or more parts of the body.
Christmas Puddings & Mince Pies
Puddings are Christmas meals that are likely to contain grapes. These fruits and their products are associated with rapid kidney failure in dogs. Even when there are loads of puddings left, don’t feed it to your dogs.
Sweets and Baked Goods
Sweets and some baked goods contain a substance that is widely used as a sugar substitute called Xylitol. Chemically, xylitol is a sugar alcohol and it is extremely toxic/harmful to dogs; it can cause seizures, liver failure and even death.
Dairy products
Sometimes you just can’t resist those adorable eyes when they stare while you lick your ice cream yeah? Don’t let them have a taste, milk and other dairy products can cause diarrhoea and varying digestive problems for your furry friend. These products can also trigger allergies in dogs predisposing them to itch and/or bumps on the skin.
Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic belong to the group of plants that contain thiosulphate and can cause poisoning in dogs. Keep onions, garlic, chives away from your dog as ingestion will result in diarrhoea, vomiting and destruction of their red blood cells resulting in anaemia. Occasional exposure to a small amount might not be a problem but it is toxic in larger
amounts.

Bacon and Ham
If you will be eating ham and bacon this Christmas period, please do not give leftovers of it to your furry friend as it is harmful to dogs. It contains an incredibly high amount of fat and salt which is too much for your dog to process. Ingestion of large amounts of bacon and ham would cause inflammation of your dog's pancreas; this is a life-threatening condition.

Cooked Bones
There is often a lot of meat and meat products at Christmas but you should make sure that cooked bones are kept well away from your dogs. These bones can crack and splinter into shards and cause serious damage to the oral cavity, choking or puncture
the gut and other organs, which can be fatal.

What Should I Do If My Dog Has Eaten Any Of These?
If your dog happens to consume any of these items that are harmful to them, even in
small amounts, please act fast, pick up the phone and call your Veterinarian.

Older Post Newer Post


Leave a comment